Monday, February 2, 2015

"Where I'm From"

I am from long, twisting roads and wind in my hair;
From Christie’s cookies and milk on cold winter days.
I am from a broken-home, light bulbs dull,
Tension around every corner, and smelling like lemon and wood.

I am from drooping sunflowers and hopeful daisies;
From raspberry bushes and tall mountainous figures.
I am from coloured Easter eggs and high hopes;
From Hodgsons and Christies, grammas and papas.

I am from stubbornness and grudge holders;
From ‘suck-it-up’ and ‘get-over-it’.
I am from a lack of faith, I believe our loved ones may be
Looking down on us, guiding and protecting us.

I'm from my mother, granddaughter of Chris Christie; 
From nights filled with cold cereal and warm milk. 
From snow-covered hills and my papa’s laughter, from tobogganing to skating; 
The outgoing and stubbornness from him and my gramma, I have them to thank it for.

I am from photo albums, locked away in hidden boxes;
We can't see them until the passing of my gramma and papa; 
I hope I will never get to see the photo albums.
The amount of work that's gone into them is priceless;

Every moment has been documented
As a single, precious moment.
Those moments fill all of the forgotten memories;
These photo albums are priceless to me.


Sydney Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment